Sunday 9 October 2016

Water for San Anton...and a cool book for you!

They're here at last, and ready to head out the door: "San Anton: A Little History" is a creative project a year in the making, designed to raise funds for a much-needed water supply for the scruffy little albergue.



It's a funky, magical place, San Anton. For five months a year, rough-and-ready pilgrims sleep in 12 Army-issue bunks set in among the old entryway, they eat a meal together and pay whatever they can afford for the no-electricity, no hot water, no-wifi experience.

But who lived there before the pilgrims arrived? Who built this ruined Gothic place in the middle of a field, and why did fall to ruin? Who was San Anton, and what's up with the pig?

The answers are here in a tasteful, artistic hand-size format that's easily posted and ideal for gift-giving. "A Little History" is the only English-language, easy-to-read history of the mysterious ruins that span the Camino de Santiago just before Castrojeriz.

I wrote the text last winter with historian and author Robert Mullen, a San Anton hospitalero in 2015 and a noted author and historian who lives in Scotland.

San Francisco artist and printmaker Melissa West was inspired by her camino to turn out spectacular series of linoleum and woodblock prints. She's got a sharp graphic eye and a real sense of humour, too -- she illustrated "Little History" gratis, because this is a good cause!

And almost nothing comes out of Peaceable Press without the steady hand of Kim Narenkevicius. Kim coordinated the graphics and production of this booklet, oversaw the print run, and delivered up 500 copies in time for the Christmas season shopping frenzy.

Once the printer is paid, the proceeds will help cover a new fresh-water system at Albergue San Anton -- we will not longer be at the mercy of a 500-year-old cistern and the guy next door who shuts it down when he's feeling ugly. So be generous! Help us get some reliable water, and we'll send you a cool little book!

These go for 5 Euros apiece at Albergue San Anton. I'll ship them to you from here, for minimum donation of 7 Euro, or 6 British pounds, or $7.50 US apiece, postage-paid. Use the PayPal button up to the right here, and put your shipping information in the PayPal "shipping address" box... and Bob's your uncle!  

16 comments:

Margaret Butterworth said...

Can't see the Paypal button on my screen!

Virginia ("Ginn") said...

I too, canot see the PayPal button. Le sigh. I do want a copy of this treasure! <3 - Ginn

Annette said...

Is the button underneath the "feed a pilgrim" bit.....otherwise I can't see it anywhere...but then Internet or anything to do with it is not my strong point!

Ingrid said...

Hello Bob and Rebekah, I just facilitated the donation ofUS $15.00 for 2 copies of San Anton.
For some reason, I could not enter my mailing address.
I will private message Rebekah with my mailing address. Thanks Ingrid

Rebrites@yahoo.com said...

Yes, the "Feed a Pilgrim" PayPal button is the one you want!

PLEASE be sure to tell me how many books you're donating for, and let me know your POSTAL ADDRESS so I can send it to you! If PayPal is being balky about that, send that in an email to rebrites(AT) yahoo.com.

Sorry about this hassle. I don't usually do marketing!

Heidi L said...

Managed to use PayPal on my phone screen, was unable to leave address. E-mail to follow!

Margaret Nock said...

I've made a payment and sent you a FaceBook message with my address.

Annette said...

So so sorry, still can't manage this.
If I send you an English check for £10 to cover any charges, would that be ok?
Otherwise, we will be doing the CF again next June and can call to San Anton albergue.
Or to peaceable kingdom. Last year we stayed in the village in a lovely pension just as you enter the village. Lovely helpful owner there with a baby girl. Again so sorry.

Rebrites@yahoo.com said...

Dear Annette,
No rush, no worries. Email me your mailing address and I'll just send you one. (rebrites (at) yahoo. com.)

Marie-Anne said...

Just received and read my copy. A lovely little book with a well written history of a Camino landmark that takes our breath away. And now I know that the silver charms in the shape of an arm symbolise.

Meg said...

I'd love one, but I seem to have missed the address spot in Paypal. I'll email it to you.

Rebecca said...

Love that you all have created this! Just ordered a couple copies--am very much looking forward to receiving them!

Jodie Maunder said...

I would love a couple! Would you post 3 to Australia if my donation is 60 pounds xx

Rebrites@yahoo.com said...

Jodie, I'd be glad to, please send your postal address to my email: rebrites (at) yahoo.com .

Anonymous said...

Easy-to-read history of the mysterious ruins that span the Camino de Santiago just before Castrojeriz.Fred R

JabbaPapa said...

Loved the podcast, Bekkah !! -- all my love to Paddy & the dogs !